What's the connection between the band Soul II Soul and this blog? The clue is in the lyrics to one of their songs: "Keep on moving, don't stop, no!" I saw them perform this at a festival last week and it got me thinking about how we all need to keep moving (perhaps not in the way they meant in the lyrics though...). So this week's blog is about generally being active. My friend Sue is such an inspiration as she is currently do a step challenge to do a million steps in three months! Whilst this might be out of reach for many people, just doing a bit more activity can really help. And it doesn't have to be high intensity stuff: it can be just wandering around or standing up rather than sitting down all the time. Here are some ideas:
1. Put on some music and dance around; throw shapes and enjoy yourself!
2. Stand up while you're on the phone. Do some bicep curls with a hole-punch (4-hole, not 2 - that's too easy!)
3. Take the stairs rather than the lift. And walk if you're on an escalator.
4. Go for a walk at lunchtime.
5. Attend an exercise class and become a regular.
6. Get a step counter and set yourself a daily or weekly challenge to achieve.
7. Walk or cycle short distances rather than jumping in the car.
8. Stretch every once in a while.
9. If you have to sit down for work, do some buttock clenches, shoulder rolls, pelvic floor lifts and seated stomach crunches. All can be done really subtly.
10. If you are old-school and still watch adverts on TV, move around during each break: run up and down the stairs, do some lunges, whatever gets you up and active!
What are your tips? I'd love to hear from you.
Hi, I'm Joanna from Clean Well-Being.
|Fitness and well-being provider||
Clean Well-being blog